Let’s see… there’s a lot on your plate. You work 50 hours each week, it’s time to file your taxes, you need to clear the year of debris so that this year’s growth can peek through, not to mention the fact that it’s time for little leagues, graduations, and summer weddings. If you’re like me, you can do it all – but at what cost? Are you working your life away?
I can only assume that Building a Powerful Vision for your future includes a point at which you can stop the madness and enjoy some leisure time. If you’re waiting for someday to say no to the many demands on your time, that day may never come, unless you set the date yourself. To get you started, here’s an exercise that will take just 5 minutes to complete.
- On a blank sheet of paper, place the numbers 1 through 6.
- Listen to “Enjoy Yourself” – a classic recorded by Guy Lombardo.
- List 6 things you’ll do “someday” – whatever floats your boat: travel to Greece,volunteer at a homeless shelter, get a hot tub, coach your daughter’s soccer team, do community theater, start saving for retirement.
- To the right of each of those items, set a date by which you will begin or complete the activity.
- Put today’s date at the top of the list.
- Post the list on your refrigerator, and let it be a conversation starter for the people in your life who pass through or join you in the kitchen. Your innocent list may just get others thinking about what they’d like to accomplish and by what date they will take action, jut like you.
- Three, Six, Nine and Twelve months from now, review your list and not what progress you’ve made on those items occurring soonest.
If you’re looking for ways to put your dreams into action, consider getting a copy of either of my books on the topic of Building A Powerful Vision. You can build a vision board yourself, throw a party with friends or begin a one year journey of creating a life you love. So many choices!